"Everyone needs a place to call their own"

Friday, November 6, 2009

H1Nwhat?...update...


Yesterday I posted about the conflict I was having about getting Ayla the H1N1 vaccine. I closed the post by saying that I would update you when I made my decision. I actually made my decision that afternoon. I went to one of my weekly workout sessions and spoke with some ladies who had gotten it and turns out there was a clinic giving them for free locally. So I decided I would just call Ayla's dr's and see what they said.
Well as I expected all the doctors..and I quote: "Highly reccomend that all children regardless of illnesses have the vaccine, especially those who carry respiratory conditions."
So after hearing that information I took the fact that there was a clinic open that day and people for me to talk to about it as a sign that I should do it.
So I took Ayla along with my step-mom and her kids to get the shot. I have to say other than my normal "germa-phobe-ness" I was relatively calm. The shot was given just like the flu, she was given the injection (the inactive form) and has been great ever since. There is a 2 week span of time where she will still be suceptible to the germ but after that, its one less thing for us to worry about.

And for a worrier like me, thats a great thing!

1 comment:

  1. Make sure to check with the clinic that gave the shot to see if she will need a booster in 30 days. Our pulmonologist and the county health care clinic both said it is required since the injectable is inactive, and will need another dose to make sure it is effective. (There's a more techincal explanation than that...I just know that Em needs a booster!)

    Just a thought I thought I'd pass along...

    Tami
    mom to Emily 4 w/cf

    ReplyDelete