"Everyone needs a place to call their own"

Thursday, November 5, 2009

H1Nwhat?

There has been a lot of controversy over the vaccination for swine flu. I am a member of a few different chat rooms for Cystic Fibrosis parents and there is a lot of back and forth going on about this topic. Some parents are adamant others (like me) are not sure what to do. I have always given Ayla her seasonal flu shot and gotten in myself but this one I'm just not sure about. I know that this illness mainly targets pregnant women & children (especially with respiratory illness) and that is a good reason for Ayla to have it. I have done some research on it and found:
  • That most of the Dr's offices are giving the nasal spray (which is a live form) and can get you sick. The only form I would give to Ayla is the injection (which is dead)

  • This vaccine has been rushed to market because of the pandemic in our country and has not had enough trials.

Recommendations from The Cystic Fibrosis Foundation tell me to vaccinate Ayla for H1N1 and all household members. I have been waiting to hear from her Pulmonologist or Pediatrician regarding this matter and have had no recommendations thus far.
I have always wanted to listen to the doctors and my intuition and make the best decision I can for Ayla. I am meeting with the Doctor on Friday to discuss this. Ayla has been so healthy the last few years that we as family sometimes feel that we can be more "brave" when it comes to her care. I am guilty of this as well, thinking: "Well what if she was fine without it?"

But in the end I will listen to the doctors because over the last 2 years God has really orchestrated which physician groups I take Ayla to see and who I don't. I pray that I can get solid information and recommendations regarding the H1N1 vaccine and make the best choice for Ayla.

I will keep you all posted after this decision is made....TO BE CONTINUED!

Watch this Rap Video about H1N1: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gwUdmPl0bU

No comments:

Post a Comment