"Everyone needs a place to call their own"

Friday, January 15, 2010

Ayla is swallowing Enzymes!


My daughter is so amazing!

Today I read a fellow CF mom's blog (www.nathansfight.com) she did a post about trying to train her son to swallow his enzymes. My sister turned me onto her blog and I read it, and it got me thinking...I wonder if Ayla could do that. She almost 3 and adapts to pretty much every change I've ever tried to implement.

I didn't read it until after her afternoon snack so I had to wait till dinner to try this on her. Dinner came and I got the enzymes and this time I didn't break open the capsules like I usually do..I just placed them into some applesauce put it on a spoon and into her mouth. And she tried to spit it out but once I said no swallow and gave her some milk she downed them like a pro.

I said: "Yay, such big girl!" "You take your enzymes like a big girl!"

She was so excited about her accomplishment.

So just now for her after dinner snack she wanted to try without applesauce. So I got her some water put an enzyme on her tongue and said don't chew. She swallowed it like a pro!!

Could this be the end of packing applesauce, Dixie cups, & spoon every time I leave the house?To just take a water bottle and her pills and go will be amazing!!

I think we might be there...Going to see how tomorrow goes. But those of you who know Ayla, understand that she is the most adaptable child. She doesn't miss a beat with change.

I am so lucky!

7 comments:

  1. Sounds like you have a very smart sister ;)! I am sure she will do great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! I haven't even thought about her taking them whole... This is unbelievable! I'm sitting here shaking my head in amazement!

    So proud of all you girls!

    Mom

    ReplyDelete
  3. She is amazing!! I tried to get Ethan (6) to swallow a pill because that was all the dr. had and I had no luck. I had to cut, grind and hide it in food.
    Good job Ayla!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. That is so great...small steps will eventually get you where you need to be and you won't miss anything along the way! I love you and I am so proud of the God given ability to see the blessings in littlesT measures. GOD IS GOOD ALL THE TIME! xxoo

    ReplyDelete
  5. What wonderful news! You're certainly blessed to have such a wonderful child. I didn't learn how to swallow a pill until I was TEN!

    Good luck tomorrow!

    - Kristen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for everyones comments on this, we are so proud of her...she's still going strong!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ahhhh! My son is 4 1/2 and swears that he CANNOT swallow enzymes whole...applesauce or not. How great that your daughter is doing such a great job!

    ReplyDelete