"Everyone needs a place to call their own"

Tuesday, December 15, 2009

The Saga continues...to Shands we go!


Well...Well....Well....what do you know....Ayla was positive for c-diff AGAIN!
I took her to the Dr Tuesday because I have not been seeing the improvements I should. The Dr. was pleased that she hadn't lost any weight. And went on to say that he thinks that we need to re-evaluate the plan of action here. (AMEN!) We have been treating this and nothing is working. The meds they had her on apparently are very strong and should not be used for a lengthy time period. He wanted to talk to the Dr's @ Shands about this.

In the mean time we would do another stool sample..results are above.

So on Tuesday afternoon I get a call from the Dr's at Shands and they would like to see Ayla on Monday. Yes...that's 3 days before Christmas! My mom and I are going to drive down and possibly make the trip in one day.

Everyone involved thinks it's a good idea for us to get Ayla in front of these Dr's. Because she looks so good. She is not showing the normal symptoms of someone who has c-dff according to her pediatrician.

So now my mind is going a million miles a minute...doing research on what else could cause her loose, nasty, greasy stools and this belly pain. I am now forming a list of my own conclusions which could be:

1.) food allergies
2.) enzyme diagnosis
3.) over-abundance of fat in diet
4.) Lactose Intolerance

Our labs in this area are.....well...are not the most "Hi-tech" meaning when you get a stool study done for c-diff anywhere else..they test not only for the presence of the toxin...but the amount. Because in case you didn't know...you have c-diff toxin in your poop...(little nugget of information for you all). And the lab that I have had like 6 stool studies done at has been testing ONLY for the presence...NOT the amount!! Which is like....so stupid!!

So.....I am getting mentally prepared...packing my arsenal of questions...for this trip to Shands. I refuse to come home without a plan of action. Some kind of test to prove that plan will work. And something I can do for Ayla until that plans works.

Thank goodness for doctors, but thank goodness for mommies intuition. I know that I am lead to do the things I do for Ayla by god. It's a full-time job to be her mom....there's no title I'd rather have.....than...

AYLA'S-MOM
Nurse, nutritionist, mom,
cook, maid, stylist & friend...

Updates to come after visit with Shands. Please keep ayla in your prayers.

Love,






No comments:

Post a Comment