"Everyone needs a place to call their own"

Wednesday, March 30, 2011

School We Visited......

I wanted to update you on our day yesterday, we had an appointment to meet with a school at 10.  Ayla was excited and mommy was nervous.  Mostly because I had heard so many good things about this place that I knew I was going to like it.  And what comes after that, was scary!

So we entered the school that has been around for 20+ years, it was clean and very artistically decorated.  Each and every space with made up with intentioned items, all serving a purpose.

This school is a Montissori type learning environment and I was pleasantly surprised at the thought that went into each book, puzzle or game brought into this place.  There are 4 spaces within the school all working together to give the kids a well-rounded learning environment.  By no means is the kind of place that your child will do meaningless activity to pass the hours.

There was even a music room where the kids get together and sing songs and play authentic instruments.  The teacher even does Yoga with the kids.  The dress code is yoga pants and shirts and for my Ayla, she couldn't be happier about wearing "comfies" all day!

There were 15 kids and 2 teachers, highly educated and very much in love with learning and teaching.

When I asked the teacher about a scenario that has played in my head over and over.... "What if a child is brought to school with a green runny nose, will you call me so I can come get Ayla?" Her response: "No, I will be sending that child home"

I got the sense that this really is a learning environment and not a babysitting service.

The kids learn about being respectful to others and respecting themselves.  They learn about being independent and picking up after themselves...if they are thirsty, they get themselves a drink....This will be new for Ayla since I pretty much do it all for her....But a good lesson for her to learn.  After all she will have a lot of things in her life that if she doesn't manage-could get out of control.

The teacher told me she had a "couple" spots so I signed Ayla up on spot.  For me that was big!  I was really impressed by the school and all it had to offer.

I think Ayla will really thrive there and I am actually excited about it! Thank God!!

2 comments:

  1. Isn't it a great feeling when you just know where you belong :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, I'm so excited for you guys!! My oldest (nonCFer) attends kindergarten at a Montessori school and it is awesome. I, too, tend to do too much for the kids (We ARE supermoms afterall, right? haha) and I like that I saw this almost instant transformation for him into this independent kid! Instead of me opening a package of fruit snacks for him and spilling them out on the table, he asks for "the lunch scissors" (what they use at school to do it themselves) and always wants to do things for himself. What a help for me so I can deal with the other two kids! Sounds awesome! Congrats!! I hope I can find a place I'm so instantly in love with for Alex and Harper :)

    ReplyDelete