"Everyone needs a place to call their own"

Thursday, July 22, 2010

Homeschool.....Why it's right for us!

This week I have been doing a lot of research on home school curriculum's, styles of learning and much more.  I have been thinking about it a lot, since kids in our area are getting ready to head back to school for another year of learning.

I want Ayla to start learning along with everyone else.  She has developed into quite the little sponge in her young life.  Sucking up everything she hears and sees.  I really believe she will have a love for learning.

And I want to find a curriculum that nurtures that.  I have read that the early years of teaching for a child is crucial to developing the type learner they will be.  If it's all facts and no fun, then there is a big chance learning won't be enjoyable to the child.

I want Ayla to love to learn, I want her to be different than her mama.  When I was in school it was a lot of time lines to memorize and centered more around the date an event was happening-than what really took place.  Not that dates and facts aren't important.  But I really think I would have retained a lot more of what I learned in school if I had felt connected to the story in some way...instead of remembering the date it happened and that's all for my upcoming quiz.  Let's face it most of what school focus' on these days are standardized testing!  And I don't want Ayla's entire schooling to be preparation for one big test and no real lessons she will remember and learn from.

And that's why I'm pretty sure Home school is right for us.  It's not right for everyone, and I have to say the School's in our area are highly awarded and some of the best in the state.

I was wondering the other day if Ayla didn't have CF would I even have considered this.  And I'm not really sure what the answer is to that question.  But I know that home school offers the ability for her to stay on her routine with treatments and medicines & for me to be able to monitor her meals.  And let's face it....she will avoid a lot of bugs and germs being in her environment.

Now don't go thinking I'm one of those mom's who shelters her child from other kid's in fear of the sniffles.  We do play dates with other kids and she has many cousins who she sees often.  And socialization is very important for Ayla.  She has always been one of those kids who doesn't have an attachment to much...just keep her around people and she's content.  And home school will not hinder her from that.  There are many mom's groups who get the kids together to do fun lessons or field trips and we will be participating.  Ayla really has a love for people and I love that about her.

How long will I home school her?  Until it's not right for her anymore.  If Ayla gets bigger and wants to be part of the school soccer team or go to the Prom...who am I to stop her?  But for now I think she will really love it.

I am looking into a few different curriculum's...both bible based & very different but the two I am most interested in is Before Five In A Row (BFIAR) and Classical Conditioning.  Each offer very different approaches but there are things I like about each of them.  For example Classical Conditioning offers once a week Co-Op where actual teachers work with students, they get to be with other kids-do arts and crafts and it's a great resource for mom's too.  BFIAR offers teaching through books that you might read your child anyway.  They take children's books (or more mature books whatever the age group) and pull lessons from each area of study out.  The lessons are laid out for you and it's FUN!  There are no textbooks, just words from authors who love their subject instead of a committee of people who put out a book that includes a list of facts they think my child needs to know.  BFIAR covers those same facts and happenings but in a way that Ayla will take away memories & emotion-and carry them with her through life.

I am getting really excited about this, as a stay at home mom- we are all looking for a "purpose" or something besides cooking and cleaning that gives us worth.  And I feel like this is just that for me.

It's funny because years ago I would have never saw myself doing this, a teacher was something I never wanted to be.  But that's what having kids will do for you.  Completely change you in ways you never thought possible.

So thanks Ayla for giving mommy a purpose and I look forward to learning with you!

~krista

7 comments:

  1. KRISTA!!!! I love this post! I homeschooled for 3 years. I keep that door open in case it becomes something that we do again, but it was great to spend that time with the kids when it was fun and new. We had some good times. It's challenging at times and there's days you want to jump off the roof, but they pass. Everyone goes through that. Find some supportive message boards or other moms in the area who are transparent. I can't wait to hear your adventure. Also, I have TONS TONS TONS OF STUFF. If you ever want to ride over and look through my stuff, give me a call:) xoxooxAmyQ

    ReplyDelete
  2. More power to you, Krista! I actually have the BFIAR and FIAR and we really enjoyed them - one thing to consider is if your local library carries all the books you will read - otherwise, the cost can add up - some people sell the sets on ebay. I've also read great things about Classical education and the best book to get as a reference for that is The Well Trained Mind- it is awesome! It tells you just what to teach for what ages - very practical. I'm excited for you and Ayla. It will be an adventure. Oh yeah, and one of the best Bible based curriculum companies is Sonlight - many moms and missionaries I know use them. Blessings for your journey! Can't wait to hear about it!
    Katie

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great mom,wife and daughter-inlaw you have become.Our family is so blessed having you in it.Karen and I love you so much and are thankful for the things you do.By the the way I think your going to carry that reputation of your mom and nana being a great cook also,that in it self is something that our fast pace world has killed is sit down family dinners,but you seem to make it happen with that good homecooking you do.love you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I think this is great! Go for your passion. You will love and teach your child more than anyone else. School is good and I imagine you will send Ayla at some point. But I agree with you that it makes sense in ya'lls situation. Enjoy every minute of it!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Krista, I found you through some part of this CF world. I have 2 boys with CF and fortunately my husband and I decided to home school before CF entered our household.
    I highly recommend FIAR....so much fun. I would get on out library's catalog and find all the informative books and fun books I could on whatever subjects we were learning about for the week. I would actually take 2 weeks per book and really have fun and get as much out of them as I could. We did that for kindergarten and are now looking into KONOS or Sonlight. It is time to get a little more serious:) Ask away if you have any questions!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yea! I am so glad you are excited about this new season. It truly is a special time, who better to teach your child the basic fundamentals then the people her love her most. I second the advice of your friend that suggested you can get all the books from the library and then once you read them then you can decide to buy the books Ayla loves the most.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I have used BFIAR and FIAR with all five of our children. I love it. So fun and they learn a lot. And, yes, look at your local library if you don't want to purchase all the books. I did both. Some are so precious you don't want to part with them. Also, Barnes and Noble bookstore has a teacher's discount card and they recognize home schoolers. You can get the card in the store and now even use it for online purchases. It saves you 20% on anything you purchase for schooling. I met the author of the BFIAR at a book fair years ago. She was very encouraging. She recommended "Reading Made Easy" as a reading curriculum. I took her advice and have used it to teach three of our children to read. This upcoming year our fourth child will begin with it.

    You will love home schooling we do. It certainly has it's challenges but they are outweighed by the benefits!

    Happy home schooling.............

    ReplyDelete